Forum One seeks a Vice President of Design to champion the company’s creative vision and lead design excellence that supports many of the world’s leading impact-focused organizations, such as the Smithsonian, the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Environmental Protection Agency, and March of Dimes. The Vice President of Design successfully balances big-picture creative thinking with business development and delivery operations to grow a multidisciplinary team that leverages UX, product, visual, motion, service, and brand design.
About the team
Forum One’s design team maintains a highly-collaborative culture that promotes professional development and ideation. The team is currently 14 members strong, with deep expertise across creative, visual, and UX design, as well as individual expertise in particular disciplines, such as research, data visualization, and motion animation. Team members are closely connected and value each other's insights deeply. The Vice President of Design is a key leader in fostering and growing this team culture.
What you will do
- Inspire, mentor, enable, and manage creative directors and designers and nurture a collaborative culture that’s exciting to work in.
- Serve as an active member of senior leadership to advocate for design at all levels, and ensure the company is aligned on business strategy and meeting business goals for impact, growth, and profitability.
- Create, maintain, and evolve design principles and best practices prioritizing quality, impact, usability, and accessibility.
- Serve as a thought leader across all design disciplines, expanding our team’s abilities and raising the company’s profile.
- Work closely with sales and accounts teams to create and grow new design service business opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Direct client project execution to meet Forum One goals for client satisfaction, billing, project profitability, and staff satisfaction. This includes work on client projects as needed.
What you bring to the table
- A strong creative vision and understanding of how to deliver design services against business objectives, paired with a deep design and UX-informed perspective to solve company challenges.
- Extensive and proven experience in team management and growth, mentorship, training, and company culture.
- Proven experience in business development through writing, verbal presentations, and/or challenges, as well as experience writing or editing requirements for proposals.
- Experience and understanding in working in a cross-matrixed organization where direct reports may be across different teams and projects.
- Experience working within a professional services firm or agency, digital services agency, or consultancy.
What would be nice
- Located on the East Coast, preferably within commuting distance of our Arlington, VA, office headquarters.
- Bachelor’s degree, with 10+ years of experience, 5 of which are in design and/or digital services.
- A natural eye for design and a drive to inspire dynamic ideas that connect with all types of audiences.
- A passion for all things digital.
Why you’ll love it here
- Competitive Salary & Employee Ownership Plan
- 401(k) match, commuter benefits, and flexible spending accounts (FSA)
- 15 vacation days, in addition to sick leave & floating holidays
- Flexible work hours
- Paid parental leave
- Company-provided laptops
- Professional development opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
What we value
- We’re passionate about our work. Our clients’ missions matter and we apply our passion to support clients addressing the most critical global issues.
- We’re great partners. We’re collaborative, approachable, creative, inclusive, and reliable.
- We’re continuous learners. We are always expanding, refining, and improving our craft, value, and impact—as individuals and as a team.
- We’re inquisitive problem solvers. We’re dedicated to finding the right solution, which requires actively engaging varied perspectives and approaching our work with flexibility, humility, and open minds.
- We get things done. We are thoughtful and thorough, but we don’t waste time or hesitate to tackle problems head-on.
- We do the right thing. We make decisions for Forum One and our clients with the highest integrity, respect, fairness, and honesty.
About Forum One
For over 25 years, Forum One has been focused on turning ideas into impact. We extend our clients’ influence on important health, education, the environment, and more issues. Our team of over 120 digital strategists, engineers, designers, and operational gurus help nonprofit organizations and government agencies make an impact in the world. Forum One is also an employee-owned (ESOP) company that treats its teams with respect, provides career growth opportunities, and actively works to be a more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible organization.
Forum One provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.