Best PracticesAs with any approach, system, or method, there are lessons learned and best practices to follow for the benefit and increased performance of a business or organization. Despite being a relatively new concept within the content arena, content services are no different. Deploying and maintaining content service best practices is key to maximizing the benefits of its approach to content creation and distribution.
- Understand your content in terms of diversity and variety. This helps when performing content gap analysis or content audits. Not all content is the same, and therefore should not be treated as such. While the intrinsic value of content is to leverage and enhance revenue and profits, not all content has this particular type of characteristic.
- Develop and implement a strong content management plan. Such a plan should include content governance structures for the content lifecycle. Creating a centralized and standard approach to publish and distribute content will remove multiple content silos by consolidating and removing duplicate or outdated content. A strong content management plan will also help facilitate version control and archive abilities which could benefit organizations by the retrieval of lost or deleted content.
- Take a holistic and comprehensive view of your technology and organizational requirements and goals. Bring the IT team into the initial planning discussions to determine what is logistically feasible. Also, think about your content marketing strategy and how to better understand and engage your users to create a robust content management ecosystem.
- Optimize workflow through content standards and automated processes. Assist with adoption and reduce the burden of managing content. Content governance processes should be streamlined and embedded to ensure that enterprise content services are integral to the organization’s functional business units. Similarly, content technology solutions should align with the strategic and process requirements of the organization.
- Establish explicit policies so that everyone in the organization has a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities. Enlist advocates or champions to advance the conversation about best practices for managing content.
To receive valuable content as well as training materials and event invitations, sign up for the Forum One newsletter today!